Tips To Prevent Destruction in the Home Due To Water Damage
Water damage does not occur only when there is flooding or during the hurricane season. A small leak in the roof or a burst pipe from a water heater or malfunctioning of the washing machine can set off damages that can run up huge bills when trying to rectify the situation and save the home.
Here are a few tips to help you remain alert to problems that can escalate and destroy your home. Take the following precautions and wait for the water restoration Boynton Beach to turn up and handle the water damage problems.
- Make it a point to routinely inspect the bathrooms and toilets for water leaks.
- If you notice condensation around the toilet bowl, you should be aware that there is a problem. If the flush does not fill up quickly, there is a clog down the line.
- Check the supply house for the washing machine regularly. If you notice any dryness or cracks, you should change the same. Leaks generally are noticed at the point where it is connected to the machine.
- The roof should be regularly inspected including the pitch. Make sure the quality of the installation is good and that good waterproof cement and flashing are used. If you have sloped or steep roofs, the rainwater may collect in a pool which will cause problems.
- If you have access to the roof, make sure to remove all debris to keep it clean. Inspect the attic and ensure good ventilation. There should be no water stains noticed on the ceilings as this indicates a leak.
- Water heaters can burst if there are unnoticed leaks formed due to rust. You should invest in a drip pan and place it beneath the water heater as this will save you unnecessary expense in case there is a leak.
- Check the trees in the garden close to the home. Some trees can invade pipes with their roots. Ideally, try to plant trees at least 10 feet away from the foundation of the home.
- The foundation should be higher than ground in the yard as this will prevent water from standing near the house.
- The gutters should be inspected regularly. Clear debris and fallen leaves to make sure that it does not get clogged. Water should be directed away from the house by installing extenders.
When you notice standing water or a leak in the house, you should call the water restoration Boynton Beach Company immediately. While you are waiting for them to arrive you should:
- Try to remove the excess water by either mopping it up or blotting
- Remove the carpets and rugs and air them out to dry. If they are heavy then you should try to blot out the water with towels.
- Wipe the furniture especially if it is wooden and raise the level of the legs by placing wood blocks or saucers to keep it from getting into contact with the water.
- Open the cabinet doors and drawers to dry it out completely.
- Discard items that are completely soaked with water.
- Try to remove trapped water if you notice any sag in the ceiling.
- In summer you can turn on the air conditioning to help dry the areas quickly.
- Use dehumidifiers and blowers to dry the water and remove the stale air.
Call the best water restoration Boynton Beach service provider in your area. If you are able to do a background check, you will know if they are connected to insurance companies and this will help you process your claims and reduce the expenses for restoring and mitigation works. If they are experienced professionals, you can hand over the job to them and not get overstressed with water damage issues.