Building Construction Permit West Palm Beach: Frequently Asked Questions

by | May 10, 2021 | Construction, General Contracting, New Buildings, New Construction

Under the supervision of the building division, the town of West Palm Beach has specific national and state code requirements enforced for construction activities. These minimum standards and mandates are tailored keeping in mind the public, civilian, visitors, and employee welfare. Any work that relates to repair, demolition, and alteration requires a construction permit. This piece of content highlights the frequently asked questions about building construction permits in West Palm Beach.

What type of work requires a building permit?

All the following works require a construction permit:

  • Enlargement
  • Alteration
  • Repair
  • Moving
  • Demolition
  • Change of occupancy of a building or structure, or electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system

On the contrary, any construction work except carpet, wallpaper, or interior decoration such as painting requires a construction permit.

How do I request a Certificate of Occupancy (CO)?

You can request the CO by sending an email with the subject line “CO Request” or “CC Request” to [email protected]. Make sure to include the master permit number, address, and contact information in your email body. You are expected to receive a response in 1 – 2 business days.

As a property owner, how do I disengage my contractor?

To discharge your contractor, you can send a letter of discharge to the Planning, Zoning & Building Department. Include the details such as your contractor’s name, permit number, and property address along with the reason for the decision, if applicable. Please note the action in no way gives you the privilege to grant the work permit to a different contractor.

Where can I check the status of my permit application?

You can check the progress of your permit application on the Citizen Services website. Noting the average turn-around times below:

  • Revision: 1 to 2 days
  • Permits: 2 weeks

Add 1 to 2 weeks to your response time if the item needs to be reviewed by a Public Works Engineer. Add 1 to 3 days if it has to be reviewed by the Fire Marshall.

How do I schedule an inspection?

You can schedule the inspection in two ways:

  1. You can book it online via the Citizen Services website. Please note that you may need to activate your account, and to do so, you may need to forward an email with the contractor license number, business name, and contact information. It might take 1-2 days for the account activation.
  2. You can use the automated Interactive Voice Recognition (IVR) System or the permit system online to cancel, reschedule or book an inspection.

I received a stop-work order; what do I do next?

To get information on how to revoke the stop-work order:

  1. Email [email protected].
  2. Ensure the email body includes your name, contact number, and an attachment or Picture of the stop-work order you received.
  3. Use your property address as the subject line.

Please note that you are responsible for the permit even if the work was not carried out directly or done before you purchased the property. If the work started without acquiring a permit, a penalty could be imposed. Failing to comply with the stop-work order will impose further penalties and could even lead to a possible lien on your property.

What can be done to my landmarked home?

Any alterations to landmarked properties have to be approved by the Landmarks Preservation Commission, provided the changes fall within the building’s architectural style. Approval from the Landmarks Preservation Commission could be range from sign/awnings to approvals for major changes to new cabanas, guest houses, etc.