What Health Problems Are Caused by Mold?

by | Nov 15, 2022 | Mold Damage, Mold Repair | 0 comments

Mold growth is unsightly. It is not something you want to see on a daily basis, whether it is a slimy-colored spot or patches on your walls. Mold growth, aside from being unsightly, can cause health problems, particularly in people who have asthma or allergies.

Read on to learn more about molds and the health problems they can cause.

What is Mold?

Mold is an organism or type of fungus that can be found almost anywhere. It can grow both outside and inside. Molds that grow outside contribute significantly to the ecosystem by decomposing animal and plant matter. The mold that grows indoors, on the other hand, can be harmful to people’s health.

Mold reproduces via light and tiny spores. Every day, you are exposed to this type of fungus. It also grows well in damp and moist conditions. Mold spores in small quantities are frequently harmless. They can, however, start growing when they land in damp indoor spaces.

Types of Mold

Molds of various types can coexist in the same environment. It is sometimes impossible to tell them apart unless you test them. Molds that commonly grow indoors include the following:

  • Aspergillus -A powdery gray, white, or green mold with dark spots. It does not require much ventilation because it thrives in dry food, attics, basements, walls, and fabrics.
  • Penicillium – This mold can be fuzzy, yellow, green, or blue in color. Frequently discovered following water damage in insulation, basements, or under carpets.
  • Cladosporium – It comes in either black, green, or brown. It thrives in both cool and warm climates. Frequently found in air conditioning or heating ducts, fabrics, carpets, and wood.
  • Trichoderma -When it releases its spores, the creamy white mold turns green. Frequently encountered in kitchens, bathrooms, windows, and on wood.
  • Aureobasidium -The mold is pink with black spots. It frequently grows on grout, caulk, walls, and wood.
  • Alternaria – Fuzzy white mold with black spots It is frequently found in wallpaper and fabric. It can also be found growing in kitchens, bathrooms, near air conditioners, and near windows.
  • Stachybotrys chartarum is also known as the black mold. Because of its high cellulose content, it is a greenish-black fungus that grows on paper, gypsum boards, or fiberboard.

Symptoms of Mold Exposure

Mold in your home will not always be harmful to your health. Mold growth, on the other hand, has the potential to cause health issues. Inhaling or touching mold spores can cause the following symptoms:

  • Wheezing.
  • Congestion.
  • Runny nose.
  • Lung irritation.
  • Eye irritation.
  • Headache.
  • Sneezes.
  • Skin rash.
  • Sore throat.
  • Coughing.

Symptoms can differ from person to person. They can also range from mild to severe. Mold allergy symptoms can flare up at specific times of the year or all year.

Health Problems Caused by Mold

Molds are only a problem when their spores land on a damp surface and begin to grow. They have the potential to be harmful to one’s health. Molds produce irritants, allergens, and occasionally potentially toxic substances known as mycotoxins. Allergens are responsible for allergic reactions.

When sensitive people inhale or touch mold spores or the mold itself, they may experience allergic reactions. Upper respiratory tract symptoms can occur as an allergic reaction. Among the symptoms are a skin rash, a runny nose, red eyes, and sneezing. It is not uncommon to experience an allergic reaction after being exposed to mold. It can be postponed or occur immediately.

Exposure to mold spores can activate asthma symptoms in individuals with asthma or a mold allergy. Sometimes exposure to some types of mold can lead to asthma attacks that may be very severe. It can have adverse human health effects. It has the potential to be harmful to human health. Chest tightness, coughing, shortness of breath, and wheezing are all signs and symptoms of asthma.

Mold can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, lungs, and throat of both non-allergic and allergic people. Mold allergies, on the other hand, can cause severe reactions such as hypersensitivity pneumonitis. It causes gradual weight loss, fatigue, coughing for weeks to months, and shortness of breath.

Mycotoxins produced by molds such as Stachybotrys chartarum, also known as black mold, can have negative health consequences for people who live in mold-infested buildings. Mold poisoning, body aches, memory loss, nosebleeds, headaches, and mood changes are all possible. However, most people who have such symptoms do not report them. As a result, extensive conclusive research into such symptoms is critical.


mold growth


Who is at Risk?

Some people are sensitive to the presence of mold in their surroundings. Touching or inhaling mold spores causes allergic reactions.

Mold exposure can have a serious impact on people with severe mold allergies and asthma. Children, infants, and the elderly are particularly vulnerable. Mold exposure also affects people who have chronic lung disease.

Avoid exposure to mold if you have a disease that has weakened your immune systems, such as liver disease, cancer, or HIV infection.


If you suspect you have mold exposure symptoms, see a doctor. Identifying whether your symptoms are caused by mold, a different type of allergy, or another condition may necessitate the assistance of a professional. To determine if you have a mold allergy, your doctor will perform blood or skin tests.

A skin prick test may be used to determine whether you react to known allergens. Blood tests will be performed to determine how your immune system reacts to mold. It will also determine whether you are allergic to a specific type of mold.


When they determine that mold exposure is to blame for your symptoms, they will prescribe antihistamines or nasal corticosteroids. If you have severe allergy symptoms all year, you can also get allergy shots.


It is possible to keep mold from growing. Mold grows and thrives in moist, humid environments. Monitoring the humidity in your home is an effective way of preventing indoor mold growth. Ensure that it does not exceed 50% throughout the day.

The humidity levels in your home should be checked on a regular basis. You might notice that the levels fluctuate every few hours. A dehumidifier can also help, especially during the humid months of the year.

You can also prevent mold growth by inspecting your building on a regular basis for signs of mold and water damage. Make sure to clean your bathroom on a regular basis and to deal with mildew and mold as soon as they appear.

Open windows or use exhaust fans in the bathroom and kitchen to improve ventilation in your home.

Add mold inhibitors to your paint to prevent mold growth on your ceilings and walls.

Certain areas of your home are more susceptible to dampness and moisture than others. As a result, avoid installing carpets in areas of your home such as the bathroom, basement, or kitchen. This reduces the possibility of mold growth. You can also recycle or dispose of old newspapers and books, which deteriorate quickly. As a result, mold grows on them.

Mold grows as a result of water damage. As a result, in the event of a flood, it is critical to dry out your home and furnishings as soon as possible to avoid dealing with mold after the water disaster. Any carpets that were damaged by the flood may not be usable again. Dispose of them to avoid visible mold growth and the odor of mold in your home.

Mold allergy symptoms can be reduced and prevented. You can always avoid dampness in your home by closing your windows at night, especially if the outside temperature is low. Gardening enthusiasts should wear dust masks. Stay indoors in damp weather, after a rainstorm, or if there is a high mold count.

The CDC has several recommendations to assist with mold removal. Use hot, soapy water, a commercial mold removal product, or bleach and water mixed together. It is also critical not to mix cleaning products with bleach.

Mold can also be removed by removing porous or soft materials contaminated with the fungus, such as wallboard, insulation, or carpets. When you’re done, throw them away.

When cleaning, it is also critical to wear protective clothing such as goggles, rubber gloves, and boots. If your home has extensive mold growth, you can also contact professionals like Titan Restoration Construction. You may also require their services if you suffer from allergies that prevent you from cleaning the mold.

Do You Want to Know More About Mold and The Health Problems It Causes? Contact Titan Restoration Construction! 

Mold can cause structural damage to your home or building. It can also be harmful to one’s health. Fortunately, professional mold remediation and removal services are available. Titan Restoration Construction employs a skilled and qualified workforce that responds quickly to your calls.

You can rely on us to investigate mold growth in your home or building and provide a quick and effective solution. For more information or a free estimate, please contact us at 561-345-3832.



Submit a Comment